Monday, September 2, 2013

Trading my 360 for an Xbox One and a Little Nostalgia

Walking into EB Games with my Xbox and all my games jammed into two plastic grocery bags felt a little strange.  Not being able to place the feeling I suppressed it with thoughts of how financially responsible I was being and how this one is destined to collect dust in some dark corner once it’s upgraded predecessor hits the shelves.  

Arriving at the counter I hand over my bags to the manager and explain to him that I want to put this towards the new one and he begins to connect my system to the small TV to make sure everything is in working order.  Then it hits me again and this time I realize what it is, nostalgia, and a little nervousness.  That is when I remembered that the last time I would have traded in a gaming system I was roughly 14 years old and it was at a Digital World, not overly far from where I was at that moment.  I still remember walking into the back of the store to literally a hole in the wall with a half door where I waited nervously to see how much money my PS2 and the original Xbox would fetch me (and being a tad bit disappointed…).  


As the manager finishes hooking up the cables I find myself getting oddly nervous.  I know that my Xbox works, (I had just finished getting annihilated in Black Ops 2) but wouldn’t this be the one time it doesn’t start up… or even worse what if I got the RED RING OF DEATH right here in the store.  Fortunately those situations were only figments of my imagination and everything started up perfectly.  With the trade-in deal I ended up getting $110 for my Xbox, which considering that my console is a few years old is pretty good.  Add on roughly another $100 for all my games and I am feeling pretty good about getting the Xbox One for half price.  That feeling was somewhat diminished when I was told that they had already sold out of the Day One editions and that I would have to wait for the second shipment to come in.  The manager who happened to be a PlayStation guy then informs me that Sony has promised that all preorders will be filled on the first day… of course!  

With Sony launching on November 15th and Microsoft talking about a late November date and at a higher price tag, I can’t help but feel that Microsoft may have to make up for its tardiness with something impressive.  

Over the next week I am going to be looking into games that will be launching with the Xbox One and writing a review on the day one releases.  I am also looking at playing Final Fantasy 14 and writing a review in progress with that.  If there is anything you would like me to do a review on, please feel free to leave a comment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment