Monday, September 2, 2013

Day One Launch: Call of Duty: Ghosts


For the next week or so I plan to write a daily post about a few of the confirmed game titles that will be launching alongside the Xbox One.  As of right now there is 23 launch titles confirmed with 4 of those being Xbox Live downloads and the remaining being retail sales.  Today I will be focusing on the newest installment in the Call of Duty series, Ghosts.

Man's best friend


I think that in the beginning a lot of people were thinking/worrying that Ghosts was going to be regurgitated game that provided the same experiences as before, and for a while I might have been one of those people.  That was until I started watching the trailers.  The one that really did it for me was the trailer titled No Man’s Land, not only does it showcase some of the new features, such as the canine combat system, but there is also subtle storyline hints along the way.

Dogs have been part of the Call of Duty series for a while now but this is the first time where you can take control and play as your canine companion.  As a dog owner/lover I can feel myself already becoming attached to Riley, and I think other people will feel this way as well.  For me so much of the single player gameplay relies on strong characters to keep me engaged and coming back, and I really hope that this is what that will accomplish. 

Something else that is shown in this trailer is the destruction that has been caused by this mysterious catastrophic event.  Gone are the days of hunting down terrorists in Middle Eastern countries, or invasions by swarms of Russians.  It seems as though a natural disaster has crippled the United States and the Federation, (an alliance of South American countries) has taken advantage of this and seemingly invaded the homeland.  It seems that you and I will be playing as a group of Special Forces soldiers who are now the guerrillas, waging war to save Old Glory. 

Ghosts has also brought in a few new features that hope to keep the game interesting.  The lean and shoot/look is a nice feature which has been seen before in other games and I feel that they are almost late in bringing this in but I welcome it nonetheless.  The knee slide is another addition that I am looking forward to because it allows you to shoot while transitioning into the crouching or prone positions.  This is something that will really shine in multiplayer because I cannot count the number of time that I have been killed because I decided to dive down a split second before I see someone.  I definitely think this will make online play more competitive and fast paced.

Taking a look at some of the new games modes that were released at the multiplayer reveal, I have to say that the one that interests me the most is Cranked.  This mode is very similar Team Deathmatch except that when you get a kill a 30 second timer starts counting down.  If you fail to get a kill within that time frame then you explode.  If you can get another kill within that time then your timer is reset to the full 30 seconds and the panic starts again.  The timer disappears on your death and doesn’t reappear until you get a kill.   The other game mode that caught my eye was the Search and Rescue.  It is a take on Search and Destroy that allows you to revive your downed teammates in a similar way that you collected tags in Kill Confirmed.  This one is really interesting to me because I enjoy playing S and D but sometimes the waiting for the round to end is annoying when I just want to play.  I think I will be playing this mode a lot.

I think that it is safe to say that I will be buying this game with my console.  The reason being is that it’s comfortable, I am fairly sure I will be able to turn it on and achieve a level of competence that will not leave me feeling frustrated.  Another reason is that I have friends that will also be playing this game, and playing with friends always makes the experience better.  I do not think that Call of Duty: Ghosts will disappoint.  If I have missed anything or you disagree with anything I wrote, let me know in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment